Immigration tips for immigrants who want to emigrate to New Zealand

I have lived in New Zealand since 2004. Since I decided to leave my homeland Argentina, I have been bombarded with all sorts of questions: Why New Zealand? What is life like here? Is it easy to adapt? What is the cost of living? …. And the list goes on. This article aims to answer some of these questions. I leave economic, geographical, political, and other characteristics to my own research. There is no need to write about the beauty of this country, where much is documented in articles, books, and movies.

Before I continue, I want to make one point clear. The following lines may look a little stiff, especially if you are a kiwi. Not my intention. I love this country; I do not regret choosing New Zealand as my master. But sometimes immigration agencies are very positive. I try to be more real.

Do not believe everything you read in the brochures

As in many other countries, finding a place in the professional world is not easy. So my first piece of advice is to be realistic. Ignore all documents that promise some kind of “New American Dream” (well, New Zealand’s dream anyway). You may end up going home with an unfair view of the country. Immigration counselors and government agencies are largely responsible for this.

Although unemployment is at an all-time high – at the time of writing, it is among the lowest in the developed world – but that does not mean you can easily get a job similar to the one you have now. This is especially difficult for those who do not have English as their mother tongue. I’ll come back to this point later.

Do your homework

Most countries in the world have requirements for visitors to work permanently and temporarily. New Zealand is no exception. You must have a work or residence permit. Let’s take a quick look at some permits granted by the New Zealand Immigration Service:

Visa visit:

tourists only. Working with this license is illegal. Even though there are illegal workers in New Zealand, it is not worth the risk, especially if you have an IT education. You can always come as a guest and apply for a work permit while you are in the country as long as you are not already working. We will discuss this situation later.

Business Free:

It is given to people from some countries between the ages of 18 and 30 who come to New Zealand to travel and work part-time. The length and terms of this visa vary depending on the nationality of the applicant. It is usually provided to a limited number of people in each country. The Spanish countries that received this visa are Argentina, Chile, and Mexico.

Seasonal visas in horticulture and horticulture:

You can apply for this visa once in New Zealand. It allows you to work on tasks such as cutting and picking fruit for up to six weeks. You do not have permission to extend this license. Only holders of this license are allowed to work in certain areas of the country for the above activities.
Study leave: You may work a maximum of 20 hours per week. To obtain this permit, you must be a full-time student at the founding of New Zealand. Since fees are not cheap for international students, to pay the fees and charges, you will probably need more than 20 hours of work.

Work permit:

This is the type of visa required to work in general. You can work full time for a limited time. There are many categories, requirements, and limitations. They are constantly evolving. But as IT professionals, we are only interested in the category of Lack of skills. There is a great demand for information technology and almost all information technology flows are recorded as shortages. However, you must have a valid job offer from your employer (this is one of the biggest problems with this system). In addition, if you retire, you must leave the country, unless you have another job offer.

Residence – educated immigrants:

The main difference with a work permit is that it is not linked to a specific employer. It not only provides freedom of choice, but also opens the door to the same opportunities that citizens enjoy: bank loans, tuition fees at local rates (under some other regime that students pay international fees), student loans, business loans, and mortgages are provided. that the applicant fills out a form called a Hobby (EOI). The applicant requires diplomas according to age, English level, skills, etc. This result is used in the pool. If a creditor demands 100 points or more, the EOI goes into the pool. Every two weeks, all 140-point EOIs are automatically collected to be invited to reside. Then lower EOI levels are defined by certain factors, such as New Zealand’s skilled labor.

Leave a Reply